Cathy qualified as an occupational therapist in 1996. She commenced her career on a clinical rotation chosen for the emphasis on brain injury and stroke rehabilitation in outpatient, community and hospital settings. Cathy went on to pursue her associated interest in learning disabilities, becoming head of a London PLD OT department. She has also specialised in paediatrics and has extensive experience working with children with a variety of needs; latterly working in schools. Cathy maintains interest in Learning Disability services, intermittently working short-term contracts for the NHS.
Cathy is an Advanced Practitioner of Sensory Integration. She held the role of editor of a professional newsletter for over a year; and has prepared post-graduate specialist professional training content for a university. Cathy also took instructions as an expert witness from 2012-2017.
Cathy has been a case manager for Westcountry Case Management since 2005. She took a year-long break in 2017 to focus on clinical skills and academic interests. Cathy currently works as an independent occupational therapist with children and adults with sensory processing disorders. She has special interests in developmental trauma and learning disability. Cathy continues to pursue academic interests alongside clinical work.
- Comprehensive assessment of client and carer needs.
- Breadth of experience across a variety of clinical fields including neurodevelopmental conditions and ABI; with children and adults; and across the NHS, Social Care & private sector.
- 11 years’ experience case managing adults and children with acquired brain injuries.
- Experience as an expert witness.
- Qualified educator.
- Interest in research.
- Experience of multidisciplinary, inter-agency practice, team management and leadership.
Professional Affiliations & Additional Qualifications
- Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- Royal College of OT Specialist Section for People with Learning Disabilities
- Sensory Integration Network UK & Ireland - Gold Member MSc in Continuing Professional Development (Health) and Post Graduate Certificate in Clinical Education, Post-Graduate Diploma in Sensory Integration