Claire qualified as an occupational therapist in 2003 from University College Northampton. She began her career at Milton Keynes General Hospital on rotation in amputees, general medicine, hand therapy (including splinting), orthopaedics and neurology. Claire moved back to Somerset in 2004 to take up a post working on the wards of the community hospital at Burnham on Sea.
Claire started working in the community rehabilitation team in the South Somerset locality in May 2005, and now undertakes case management work alongside this role.
As well as working as a case manager with WCM, Claire currently works in a community rehabilitation team, seeing clients aged 18 upwards with a wide range of physical disabilities including orthopaedics, neurology, falls, and long term conditions such as MS, MND and Parkinson’s disease. This role involves assessing clients with complex disabilities and working with a wide range of health professionals and community services, in order to maximise their independence at home and achieve personalised goals. Claire is also involved in the splinting service across the Mendip area, fabricating upper limb splints.
- Goal orientated person centred approach.
- Excellent communication and intrapersonal skills.
- Multidisciplinary working.
- Experience in assessing and planning rehabilitation programmes for clients with complex and long term disabilities.
- Extensive experience in setting SMART goals.
- Good knowledge of conditions affecting the upper limb and splinting.
- Excellent prioritisation skills.
- Good knowledge of manual handling and writing plans and use of manual handling equipment.
- Experience of assessing care needs and referring for appropriate care packages.
Professional Affiliations & Additional Qualifications
- Health Professions Council (HCPC)
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- BABICM registered member