Denyse is a neurological occupational therapist, specialising in the assessment and treatment of adults with acquired brain injury (ABI). She has a wide range of experience in physical medicine and neuro-rehabilitation, with extensive specialist skills in ABI. She trained at the Welsh School of Occupational Therapy and qualified in 1986. She has experience of working with clients with ABI both in hospital and community settings. From its inception in 2001 until 2011, Denyse worked part-time as lead occupational therapist (job share) in the Bro Taf Community Brain Injury Team, providing assessment and intervention to adults with ABI in Cardiff and some adjoining areas. Previous roles include working as the senior therapist on an inpatient neuro-rehabilitation unit in Southampton General Hospital and in a neuro outpatients rehab unit.
As well as working as a case manager with Westcountry Case Management since 2007, Denyse works as an independent occupational therapist with adults with ABI in the south Wales area. Denyse is also regularly invited to teach undergraduate and postgraduate therapists in Cardiff about cognitive difficulties and brain injury rehabilitation.
- Extensive experience in management of adults with ABI and of working clinically in the field of rehabilitation following brain injury.
- Routinely uses a goal orientated approach to intervention.
- Experience of implementing community based rehabilitation programmes, linking in with local services where possible.
- Highly developed communication skills with the ability to communicate with adult clients of all ages and from all walks of life with empathy and humour.
- Proven ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently or as part of inter-disciplinary team.
- Experience of recruiting, training and managing care teams, in line with CQC guidelines.
- Highly organised, with the ability to maintain an accurate overview of all factors affecting the clinical picture.
Professional Affiliations & Additional Qualifications
- Health Professions Council (HPC) Registered
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- Member of the College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice
- Member of Headway
- BABICM Advanced member