Jo qualified as an occupational therapist in 1990 from Oxford. She has worked with adults and adolescents with acquired brain injury (ABI) since 1993 and has experience as an expert witness for both claimants and defendants and also as a single joint expert. Jo has also worked with people suffering with psychological impairment following traumatic injuries, including post-traumatic stress disorder and has a good understanding of the long-term psychological impact of disability.
Jo has worked both as an independent practitioner and within a NHS head injury therapy unit and a spinal injury unit. She has worked as a case manager for Westcountry Case Management since 2005.
Jo continues to work as an occupational therapy private practitioner and case manager and currently manages a number of clients with a broad range of disabilities in the community. She has a strong understanding of the long term consequences of ABI and has worked with many of her clients for numerous years. Her main area of clinical expertise is implementing rehabilitation packages in the community and assisting with carer training and supervision. She has particular interest in cognitive dysfunction, but has experience of a broad range of abilities within brain injury.
- Over 20 years’ specialist clinical experience of working with ABI.
- Medico legal issues and giving evidence in court, preparing medico legal reports.
- Extensive experience of working with clients with moderate to severe brain injury.
- Broad understanding of the long-term consequences of brain injury.
- Implementing community based rehabilitation programmes.
- Vocational rehabilitation.
- Preparation of activity based risk assessments.
- Practical, goal orientated approach to treatment.
- Co-ordination of complex care packages, including training and supervising carers.
- Experience of working within both private and statutory sectors.
- Ability to work independently or as part of inter-disciplinary team.
- Effective communicator, personable yet professional, with sense of humour.
Professional Affiliations & Additional Qualifications
- Registered with Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Diploma from the College of Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapists in Private Practice
- Occupational Therapy Special Interest Group in Neurology (OTSIG)
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- BABICM registered practitioner member